The Bipolar Disorder Survival Guide: What You and Your Family Need to Know
“Thanks to sharper diagnosis and better medicine, the future is brighter for people with bipolar disorder than in past generations. But if you or someone you love is struggling with the frantic highs and crushing lows of this illness, there are still many hurdles to surmount at home, at work, and in daily life.
- How can you learn to distinguish between the early warning signs of mood swings and the normal ups and downs of life?
- What medications are available, and what are their side effects?
- What should you do when you find yourself escalating into mania or descending into depression?
- How can you get the help and support you need from family members and friends?
- How can you tell your coworkers about your illness without endangering your career?
In this comprehensive guide, Dr. David J. Miklowitz offers straight talk that can help you tackle these and related questions, take charge of your illness, and reclaim your life. A leading researcher and clinical specialist who knows what works, Dr. Miklowitz supplies proven tools to help you achieve balance- and free yourself from the emotional and financial havoc that result when symptoms rule your life- without sacrificing your right to rich and varied emotional experiences.”